The warning comes a day after a UN appeal for countries to fund emergency aid in the Arab world’s poorest nation fell a billion dollars short of what agencies need to cover essential activities from June to December.
The war between Houthi rebels and pro-government forces escalated in 2015 when a Saudi-led military coalition intervened against the rebels who control large parts of Yemen including the capital Sanaa.
Houthis' health minister said the government had been transparent about the number of confirmed cases and those who have recovered.
The cemetery workers who bury them don't know what killed the newly deceased. But there's no denying that there's been an increasing number of people getting sick in the port city of Aden – likely from the coronavirus.
The first coronavirus case in Aden, the government's interim capital, was recorded about a month ago. Since then, the total number of deaths registered in the city has "increased seven-fold", according to a physician at a public hospital.
The revelation raises serious concerns as the country already faces a major threat of Covid-19 outbreak in the backdrop of its health infrastructure which remains in shambles due to the years of war.
The number of global coronavirus infections has surged past 4.5 million, with over 306,000 deaths and 1.7 million recoveries. Here are more coronavirus-related developments for May 15:
A five-year war has shattered Yemen's health system, pushed millions to the brink of famine and divided the country between the internationally recognised government and the Houthi rebels, who overran the capital Sanaa in late 2014.
As well as maintaining opulent lifestyles, the Saudi monarchy has been pumping its extensive wealth into fuelling the Middle East's wars.
The war-damaged nation, whose population has been weakened by widespread hunger and disease, has reported one laboratory-confirmed Covid-19 case but due to inadequate testing and a shattered health system aid groups fear a devastating outbreak.
Cracks between Saudi and the UAE appear on the battleground of Yemen as their ground allies are at loggerheads.
Unilateral halt in fighting to continue for one more month, coalition spokesman Colonel Turki al Maliki says, but Houthi rebels want coalition blockade to end before accepting a truce.
Subscribe to our Youtube channel for all latest in-depth, on the ground reporting from around the world.
Copyright © 2020 TRT World.