Readers scoop up all one million copies of Apple Daily which claims it was forced to cease operations after police froze $2.3 million of its assets, searched its office and arrested five top editors and executives last week.
Hong Kong’s sole remaining anti-Bejing newspaper is publishing its last edition, forced to shut down after five editors and executives were arrested and millions of dollars in its assets were frozen as part of China's crackdown on dissent.
A national security law, which was penned in Beijing and imposed on Hong Kong last year after huge protests, allows for cases to be tried by three specially selected judges instead of a jury.
Apple Daily, the embattled anti-Beijing newspaper, has asked authorities to unfreeze some of its assets so it can pay salaries and avoid labour violations, and that its board will meet on Friday to decide if the newspaper will cease operations.
Anti-China newspaper will shut its operations by Wednesday after authorities froze company's assets and most of its employees resigned, local media report.
Chief editor Ryan Law and CEO Cheung Kim-hung are accused of colluding with foreign forces to undermine China's national security over a series of articles that police said called for international sanctions.
The July 21 attack saw more than 100 people wearing white T-shirts wielding sticks and poles attack anti-China protesters and bystanders at a train station in Yuen Long district.
Hong Kong police raid offices of newspaper Apple Daily and arrest five executives under the city's national security law, including its chief editor Ryan Law, police and paper say.
Chow was released from prison after serving nearly seven months for her role in an unauthorised assembly during anti-government protests in the city in 2019.
The Film Censorship Ordinance has been expanded to include "any act or activity which may amount to an offence endangering national security" under a "common responsibility" to "safeguard sovereignty, unification and territorial integrity" of China.
DECK: Chow Hang Tung, 37, is one of the vice-chairs of The Hong Kong Alliance in Support of Patriotic Democratic Movements of China that organises the city's annual June 4 candlelight vigil for the victims of Tiananmen Square.
A 41-year-old man in Jiangsu province, northwest of Shanghai, was hospitalised on April 28 and is in stable condition, the National Health Commission says but insists the risk of large-scale transmission is low.
Subscribe to our Youtube channel for all latest in-depth, on the ground reporting from around the world.
Copyright © 2021 TRT World.