Western Australia emergency services call for support finding a radioactive capsule that fell off a truck while being transported between a desert mine and the city of Perth.
Mining giant Rio Tinto has apologised for losing a highly radioactive capsule over a 1,400-kilometer stretch of Western Australia, as authorities combed parts of the road looking for the tiny but dangerous substance.
The capsule was part of a device believed to have fallen off a truck while being transported between a desert mine site and the city of Perth on January 10.
The truck transporting the capsule arrived at a Perth depot on January 16. Emergency services were notified of the missing capsule on January 25.
The chief executive of Rio Tinto Iron Ore, Simon Trott, said the company was taking the incident very seriously and apologised for causing public concern.
“We recognise this is clearly very concerning and are sorry for the alarm it has caused in the Western Australian community,” Trott said.
"As well as fully supporting the relevant authorities, we have launched our own investigation to understand how the capsule was lost in transit.”
Western Australia emergency services have called on other Australian states and the federal government for support finding the capsule as they lack equipment.
The capsule measures 8 millimeters by 6 millimeters, and people have been warned it could have unknowingly become lodged in their car’s tires.
READ MORE: Top bosses at Rio Tinto quit after destruction of indigenous site
Determined to be an accident
The caesium 137 ceramic source, commonly used in radiation gauges, emits dangerous amounts of radiation, equivalent of receiving 10 X-rays in an hour.
It could cause skin burns and prolonged exposure could cause cancer.
The search has involved people scanning for radiation levels from the device along roads used by the trucks, with authorities indicating the entire 1,400-kilometer route might have to be searched.
Western Australia's Department of Fire and Emergency Services publicly announced the capsule had gone missing on Friday, two days after they were notified by Rio Tinto.
Trott said the contractor was qualified to transport the device and it had been confirmed being on board the truck by a Geiger counter prior to leaving the mine.
Police determined the incident to be an accident and no criminal charges are likely.
Rio Tinto has repeatedly been accused of environmental violations in Australia and other countries.
READ MORE: Australia okays plan to protect Aboriginal heritage