Maryland appellate court panel orders new hearing into 1999 killing of Hae Min Lee, saying lower court violated right of victim's family to attend critical hearing in case.
A Maryland appellate court has reinstated Adnan Syed's murder conviction and ordered a new hearing, marking the latest development in the protracted legal odyssey chronicled in the hit podcast "Serial."
Though Syed's conviction was reinstated on Tuesday, he will not immediately be taken back into custody.
In a 2-1 decision, the Appellate Court of Maryland ruled a lower court failed to give sufficient notice to the victim's family when it scheduled the September hearing that vacated Syed's conviction and allowed him to regain his freedom after more than two decades behind bars.
The intermediate court's order does not go into effect for 60 days, which delays any immediate consequences and allows the parties time to decide whether to appeal and schedule upcoming proceedings accordingly.
Syed's attorney Erica Suter said they will ask the state supreme court to review the case.
Maryland law provides victims with the right to prior notice of conviction vacatur hearings, and that right was violated in the case of Hae Min Lee's brother, the appellate court ruled.
Syed was convicted in 2000 of killing Lee, his high school ex-girlfriend whose body was found in a makeshift grave after her disappearance in 1999.
Syed, 41, was released last September after serving more than two decades in prison for Lee's murder after prosecutors provided new DNA evidence that pointed to other suspects.
He was exonerated of the charges in October.
READ MORE: US prosecutors drop charges against Adnan Syed in 'Serial' case
Whole Adnan Syed thing is such a strong example of how the system harms both the accused and victims, two sides that are pitted against each other when the issue is the system itself— Kimya كيميا (@kimyaf) March 28, 2023
Lee's brother, Young Lee, was notified on a Friday afternoon that the hearing would take place the following Monday, giving him only one business day before the hearing was "insufficient time to reasonably allow Mr. Lee, who lived in California, to attend the hearing in person," instead requiring him to attend remotely, the appellate court ruled.
Young Lee attended the hearing via Zoom after the judge denied his request to postpone the proceedings one week to allow his in-person attendance.
Lee's family filed the appeal arguing that they were not properly notified of the efforts to release Syed.
"Because the circuit court violated Mr. Lee's right to notice of, and his right to attend, the hearing on the State’s motion to vacate…this Court has the power and obligation to remedy those violations, as long we can do so without violating Mr. Syed's right to be free from double jeopardy," court documents said.
The Lee family spent decades believing justice had been served, only to be treated as an afterthought when prosecutors decided their case was actually flawed from the beginning, their attorneys have argued. The appellate court largely agreed.
"Allowing a victim entitled to attend a court proceeding to attend in person, when the victim makes that request and all other persons involved in the hearing appear in person, is consistent with the constitutional requirement that victims be treated with dignity and respect," the court ruled.
The court also said the new hearing should be more transparent, requiring that "evidence supporting the motion to vacate is presented, and the court states its reasons in support of its decision."
READ MORE: US judge overturns Adnan Syed conviction after two decades in prison
No 'secret evidence'
David Sanford, an attorney representing Young Lee, said that piece of the ruling in particular has serious implications because it means there will be "evidence for the world to see and examine."
"We are delighted that the court agrees with Mr. Lee," he said. "Decisions made by courts should not be based on secret evidence."
But Suter said "there is no basis for re-traumatising Adnan by returning him to the status of a convicted felon."
After Syed's conviction was vacated, Baltimore prosecutors had 30 days to decide whether to retry him.
They announced their decision to drop the charges eight days before the deadline was up — while an appeal from the Lee family was pending.
The appellate judges interrogated that timeline and concluded the state acted "with the purpose ... of preventing Mr. Lee from obtaining a ruling on the appeal," which Syed's attorneys later argued was moot because there were no underlying charges.
The State Attorney's Office position is further complicated by a recent change in leadership. The current state's attorney, Ivan Bates, took office in December — not long after his predecessor, Marilyn Mosby, decided to drop the charges against Syed, saying additional DNA testing had excluded him as a suspect. That was after her office conducted a yearlong review of the case and found prior prosecutors made significant missteps.
Her decision to re-examine the case came after Syed's appeals were repeatedly denied. Even after the "Serial" podcast raised numerous questions about the evidence that resulted in Syed's conviction and garnered a massive following of supporters, Syed remained behind bars for several more years.
"We notified the victim's family in line with Maryland law and best practices, and they attended virtually and spoke," she said.
"To now send this case back to court prolongs the pain for the Lee family, and leaves a cloud hanging over a man who deserves to be free, Adnan Syed."
READ MORE: 'Serial' podcast-famed Adnan Syed's case up for crucial hearing