UN food agency WFP says a total of 5.2 million people in the war-torn region of the country are facing growing levels of malnourishment, especially among women and children.

Tigrayan children gather in the classroom where they now live in an elementary school used as a camp for the internally displaced in the town of Abi Adi, in the Tigray region of northern Ethiopia, May 11, 2021.
Tigrayan children gather in the classroom where they now live in an elementary school used as a camp for the internally displaced in the town of Abi Adi, in the Tigray region of northern Ethiopia, May 11, 2021. (AP)

More than 90 percent of people in Ethiopia's war-torn Tigray region need emergency food aid, the United Nations has said, as it has appealed for over $200 million to scale up its response.

The UN World Food Programme voiced alarm that the conflict had caused an increase in hunger levels which were already high in Tigray.

"A total of 5.2 million people, equivalent to 91 percent of Tigray's population, need emergency food assistance due to the conflict," WFP spokesperson Tomson Phiri told reporters in Geneva.

Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed, winner of the 2019 Nobel Peace Prize, sent troops into the northern region in November to detain and disarm leaders of the Tigray People's Liberation Front, the region's former ruling party.

He said the move came in response to TPLF attacks on federal army camps.

Though he vowed the conflict would be brief, more than six months later fighting continues, reports of atrocities are proliferating, and many leaders are warning of a potential humanitarian catastrophe.

READ MORE: Tigray official warns of starvation threats from anti-farming 'campaign'

The WFP said it had provided emergency aid to more than a million people since it started distributions in northwestern and southern areas of Tigray in March.

"WFP is alarmed at the impact of conflict on already high levels of hunger," Phiri said.

"We are deeply concerned at the number of people we see in need of nutrition support and emergency food assistance.

"The WFP is calling for $203 million to continue to scale up its response in Tigray to save lives and livelihoods through to the end of the year."

READ MORE: WHO: Situation in Ethiopia's Tigray region 'very horrific'

'Serious' famine risk 

Last week, a senior UN official warned the UN Security Council that urgent measures were needed to avoid famine in Tigray, in a briefing seen by AFP.

"There is a serious risk of famine if assistance is not scaled up in the next two months," wrote Mark Lowcock, the UN's top emergency relief coordinator.

He estimated that "over 90 percent of the harvest was lost due to looting, burning, or other destruction, and that 80 percent of the livestock in the region were looted or slaughtered."

The WFP said the instability was undermining the efforts of humanitarian workers to reach vulnerable communities in Tigray, especially in rural areas.

"A ceasefire and unimpeded access are vital for WFP and all its partners in Tigray to reach all areas and all people desperately in need of life-saving support," Phiri said.

Meanwhile the WFP spokesperson said the agency was witnessing growing levels of malnourishment among women and children.

WFP found that almost half of pregnant or breastfeeding mothers in 53 villages were either moderately or acutely malnourished, while almost a quarter of all children screened were found to be malnourished.

READ MORE: ‘Alarming’ malnutrition reported in Ethiopia’s war-hit Tigray region

READ MORE: Ethiopia: Eritrea troops killed 110 civilians in Tigray massacre

Addis blames TPLF

Eritrean troops, who teamed up with the Ethiopian military, have been implicated in multiple massacres and other atrocities during the Tigray conflict, allegations that Asmara denies.

An Ethiopian aid worker died after being struck by a stray bullet in the region, his Italian employer said on Monday, the ninth such death in the conflict there.

The Ethiopian government in Addis Ababa has said it is committed to investigating human rights abuses and that it has granted "full and unhindered" access for aid workers.

In a series of Twitter posts last week, the Foreign Ministry blamed the TPLF in part for aid disruptions.

"Remnants" of the group have "killed humanitarian workers, truck drivers and looted food and non-food items that were about to be delivered to the people who need support," the ministry said.

READ MORE: US imposes restrictions on Ethiopian, Eritrean officials over Tigray crisis

READ MORE: Eritrean troops 'block and loot' food aid in Ethiopia's Tigray

Source: AFP